Get the news right in your inbox!

MFT Stamps | Wednesday Sketch Challenge #461

October 30, 2019

MFT Stamps | Wednesday Sketch Challenge #461

October 30, 2019

Hello crafty friends! It’s time for a new Sketch Challenge from My Favorite Things! I went with a “spooky” theme for my take on the sketch since tomorrow is Halloween.

For my top circle, I created a moon. I used my image of the mouse to replace the bottom circle in the sketch. For my images, I stamped the cute little mouse from the SY Spooktacular Friends Stamp Set. I colored him with Copic Sketch Markers and used the coordinating dies to cut him out. For my bat, I used the Best Witches Stamp Set.

To create my background, I masked off a circle for the moon and then blended some Distress Oxide Inks (colors listed in photo above) onto a sheet of Neenah Solar White 110lb Card Stock. I wanted to create the illusion of some foggy wisps of clouds, so I remembered a technique that I had used awhile back when creating texture onto my bedroom walls that I had just painted. I used a damp paper towel and lightly dabbed at my ink blended background. This helped to remove and blend the ink in certain areas, making it lighter. I love the effect and I will definitely use it again in the future.

I used some warm gray Copics to color the moon (W00, W1, W2, W4) and then added some grass by diecutting a strip of Black Licorice Card Stock with the Grassy Edges Die-namics. I then heat embossed my sentiment onto this strip of grass with Fine Detail White Embossing Powder. Lastly, I adhered my grass and mouse to my card base with some 3D Foam Adhesive Tape.

Here’s a look at this week’s sketch! Come play along for a chance to win a $50 MFT Gift Voucher! (Winner is chosen randomly.) Head to the MFT Blog for more details and for more WSC Inspiration!

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you liked this card and want some more crafty inspiration, please feel free to check out my INSTAGRAM feed!

Wishing you all a lovely day!

♥ Rachel

• Kristi H. October 30, 2019 at 1:04 PM

Really gorgeous and unique background! This is a fabulous card. Thank you for sharing this inspiring piece today.

• rachelalvaradodesigns October 31, 2019 at 9:08 AM

Thank you so much for your sweet comments, Kristi! <3

• Nora Noll October 30, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Oh my word!! That background is the BOMB!!! I LOVE the way you did the moon on this. Looks so real!!! Such a beautiful card!!

• Patricia M Dugan October 31, 2019 at 5:49 AM

WOW!!!! So much to learn from this card. First-it’s adorable, and second-largest sky and moon!!! Both fantastic. That sky technique will be used with all kinds of color combos for all kinds of backgrounds. Thanks for the info!

• rachelalvaradodesigns October 31, 2019 at 9:09 AM

Thank you so much, Patricia! I greatly appreciate all of your lovely comments! <3

• Jeanne October 31, 2019 at 6:42 AM

Rachel, that background is spectacular. WOW, I love the moon and its glow. Thanks for sharing the how to. That little guy is so cute in his pumpkin costume. You did such an outstanding job on this card. I thank you so much for sharing!

• rachelalvaradodesigns October 31, 2019 at 9:10 AM

Thank you so much, dear Jeanne! You are such a sweetheart! <3

• Adam October 31, 2019 at 7:58 PM

Now THAT is one super moon…and one super terrific card! Happy Trick or Treat day to you, Rachel. TFS. Blessings from Oz.

• rachelalvaradodesigns November 1, 2019 at 9:19 AM

Thank you so much, Adam! I hope you had a wonderful Halloween!

Hello, I'm Rachel! Thanks so much for dropping by and welcome to my blog! I love creating and am excited to share with you my love for card making and paper crafting.

Rachel